Tags: cache, microsoft, msdn, office, onenote, onenoteofflinecache_files, onenoteofflinecache_filesdirectory, scenario, software, thisheres, time

onenoteofflinecache_files

On Microsoft » Microsoft Office

8,284 words with 8 Comments; publish: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:46:00 GMT; (300125.00, « »)

Does OneNote cache everything to the onenoteofflinecache_files

directory all the time? If so, is there a way to change this?

Here's the scenario. I have a client Engineering firm that is using

OneNote 2007 for archiving and organizing all of their data for each

project. The Onenote notebooks are getting extremely large in size.

30-40 Gb in size. The data is on the server and all engineers and

draftsmen access the shared notebooks over the network. Everyone is

running out of drivespace rather quickly as the backups and

onenoteofflinecache_files directories are chewing up all the

drivespace on the workstations.

I have yet to find anyone else utilizing OneNote in this manner and in

this capacity. I'm pretty sure that this is outside of the scope of

what OneNote was designed for. But - It works wonderfully for

organizing the data and it has increased the productivity markedly.

Kelvin

RBRSolutions

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 8 Comments
    • cache file locaiton can be changed at "options - save - cache file

location"

On Jan 8, 1:45Xpm, Brewmaster <kelv....ms-office.todaysummary.com.gmail.com> wrote:

> I have done that already.

> But back to my original question: Does ON cache everything on a shared

> notebook? Is there a way to point the cache files somewhere else?

> Perhaps we can get a multi-terabyte GigEthernet NAS and have all the

> cache files live there if I can find a way to re-direct them. Our only

> other option as it now stands is to buy large drives for each user's

> machine. It just seems like such a waste as most users will use only a

> small portion of each ON notebook but they must be able to have the

> option of seeing the whole thing at anytime.

> On Jan 7, 10:34 pm, John Guin <john (dot) guin X(at) Xhotmail.com>

> wrote:

> - Show quoted text -

#1; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:54:00 GMT
    • >The data is on the server and all engineers and

> draftsmen access the shared notebooks over the network

> I have yet to find anyone else utilizing OneNote in this manner and in

> this capacity. I'm pretty sure that this is outside of the scope of

> what OneNote was designed for.

Whate you've described sounds like exactly what OneNote is intended for and

mirrors the way we use OneNote in our small business very closely.

What kind of data are you entering into ON to get such huge file sizes?

Regards

John Waller

#2; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:47:00 GMT
    • Every scan, e-mail, audio file, PDF, Drawing and video gets inserted

into the ON database. Currently there's a ton of duplication while we

sort out the best way to organize things but it is getting better.

Am I correct in my assumption that ON caches everything? Is there

anything I can do to prevent this huge waste of drivespace?

wrote:

> Whate you've described sounds like exactly what OneNote is intended for and

> mirrors the way we use OneNote in our small business very closely.

> What kind of data are you entering into ON to get such huge file sizes?

> --

> Regards

> John Waller

#3; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:48:00 GMT
    • One idea that immediately comes to mind and may help is reducing the amount

of backup data ON keeps. Look in tools \ options \ backup and turn down the

amount of data you keep for backups.

Thanks,

John Guin

OneNote Test Team

"Brewmaster" wrote:

> Every scan, e-mail, audio file, PDF, Drawing and video gets inserted

> into the ON database. Currently there's a ton of duplication while we

> sort out the best way to organize things but it is getting better.

> Am I correct in my assumption that ON caches everything? Is there

> anything I can do to prevent this huge waste of drivespace?

> On Jan 7, 6:49 pm, "John Waller" <jo....ms-office.todaysummary.com.REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au>

> wrote:

#4; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:49:00 GMT
    • I have done that already.

But back to my original question: Does ON cache everything on a shared

notebook? Is there a way to point the cache files somewhere else?

Perhaps we can get a multi-terabyte GigEthernet NAS and have all the

cache files live there if I can find a way to re-direct them. Our only

other option as it now stands is to buy large drives for each user's

machine. It just seems like such a waste as most users will use only a

small portion of each ON notebook but they must be able to have the

option of seeing the whole thing at anytime.

On Jan 7, 10:34 pm, John Guin <john (dot) guin (at) hotmail.com>

wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]

> One idea that immediately comes to mind and may help is reducing the amount

> of backup data ON keeps. Look in tools \ options \ backup and turn down the

> amount of data you keep for backups.

> --

> Thanks,

> John Guin

> OneNote Test Teamhttp://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin

> "Brewmaster" wrote:

#5; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:50:00 GMT
    • Do you use section groups? Here is an idea to reduce the cache size

for some users.

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group B

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section 6.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section 7.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section 8.one

To see everythin g(all 40g) open the notebook c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My

Notebook

To see the first sub section only open the notebook c:\OneNote

\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group A

To see second sub section only open the notebook c:\OneNote\WorkBooks

\My Notebook\Section Group B

The last two will only have a sub section of the data in the cache.

The drawback is that these users can't see the whole notebook - but it

will reduce the cache size.

John.

#6; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:51:00 GMT
    • The file structure sahould have been:

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section 1.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section 2.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group A

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group A\Section 3.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group A\Section 4.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group A\Section 5.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group B

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group B\Section 6.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group B\Section 7.one

c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook\Section Group B\Section 8.one

John.

#7; Fri, 30 May 2008 20:52:00 GMT
    • You can change the Cache location from Tools.Options. GO into Tools.Options

and then click on the "Save" tab. At the bottom of the dialog you'll see a

spot where you can re-route youre cache file.

-mike

"John Google" wrote:

> The file structure sahould have been:

> c:\OneNote\WorkBooks\My Notebook